Behind the Scenes of Every Great Team
When you see a great team, you probably realize that their chemistry didn’t happen by accident. Just like getting a ship safely to harbor, there are a few things going on behind the scenes that make this possible.
- It starts with a great leader at the helm. Someone who is intentional about the way they lead and manage will unite the team, keep them aligned, and help them create fantastic results.
- The right people on the boat. The right skill sets and attitudes are crucial to a well-functioning team. Hiring according to values and attitude, and getting the ship cleaned up might mean moving seats around and/or removing someone that isn’t a good fit.
- A compelling vision and goal to strive toward, with clarity around roles, responsibilities and individual developmental needs. We’ve all got to be rowing in the same direction.
- Team rewards in addition to the typical individual rewards. When we only provide individual rewards, it’s difficult for the team to focus on a collective goal.
- Diversity. Making sure we have a good mix of different perspectives. It’s easy to fall into the trap of hiring people who are just like you. We need to be mindful of the value of diversity and make sure we create a team that is well rounded.
- Arguments. Yes, you read that right. Good debates, where people don’t hold back when they disagree on things. Behind the scenes of great teams are people who are duking it out for the good of the greater goal.
- The right environment - open, trusting, positive, and not a lot of unnecessary obstacles.
- Good values, like generosity, respect, integrity, and truth. (Yep, there’s GRIT(R) behind the scenes of great teams!)
- Meaningful policies and procedures, that make it easier for people to get their jobs done, not harder.
- Debriefs to help the team see what went well, what didn’t go so well, and how to change course if necessary.
- Celebration. Taking the time to appreciate the hard work, getting through the rough waters, and reaching shore!
What else do you see behind the scenes of great teams?
Does your team have some behind the scenes things going on that are making it run well (or not so well?) Join us next week for our FREE webinar on One Simple Leadership Activity to Transform Your Employees into a Team (Dec 19 at 2pm EST) - reserve your seat now!
Sharon Garofanello - December 25th, 2017 at 4:55am
Head on! Love this and it comes at a perfect timing.